RE: Call for IT Survey Participants

fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 03/25/2004 03:51 PM, Don Levey wrote:
>
>> So what you're saying is that it's OK to skew the survey in favour of
>> MS products, to stand on principle.  Additionally, phrasing your
>> question as you do suggests that only someone who runs MS Office
>> would even try to open the file.
>>
>> -Don
>>

> I think really he's just trying to point out two simple facts:
>
> 1) There is an inherent bias expressed in the use of a MS format for a
> survey about MS vs. Linux. It may be small, but it's there. And it's
> kind of funny.

Well, using OpenOffice format would also be inherently biased - even more
so.
OO can open Excel - can Excel open OO?  The only way to deal with such a
bias
(given the current assumptions) would be to use a format not tied to ANY
product or platform.  Failing that, the next best way would be to use a
format
openable by the most applications.  In this case, XLS could qualify.

> 2) Asking people to do it in a spreadsheet is dumb anyway. A web form
> is a much smarter way to handle this. You'd get more people to
> participate, have an easier way to collect personal info from them,
> and get responses with fewer mistakes.

I agree - and this is where the original assumptions (attached file or form)
must be challenged.  This would indeed make it platform and product
independant.

> It's not such a big deal.

I apologise for reacting as I did.  I've been dealing with people who
do some... interesting... things when trying hard to make a point at the
expense of practicality.  My frustration must have spilled over to here.
 -Don