Re: Re: Samba - Windows 98

> Message: 15
> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:24:40 -0600
> From: John Thompson <JohnThompson@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Samba - Windows 98
> To: Chris Botha <jcbotha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, For users of Fedora Core
> releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:43:04 +0200
> Chris Botha <jcbotha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Windows 98 Security Problem
> >
> > Could sombody explain how I can get windows 98 to function on per-user
> > login as windows 2000. Is it possable to to something like that? I do
> > not like the idea that the users details are localy stored. A user
> > sould also not be able to get in if a password in not correctly
> > punched in. Any help will be welcome.
>
> You need to set up samba to be an SMB domain controller.  A "logon.bat"
script in /etc/samba/logon will set up the home directories for the Win
users. This is the script I use with a mix of Win2k and Win98:

>   rem Reset the current time to that shown by the server.
>   rem We must have the time server = yes option in the
>   rem smb.conf for this to work.
>
>   echo Setting current time...
>   net time \\amayatra /set /yes
>
>   if %OS%.==Windows_NT. goto WinNT
>   if %OS%.==Windows_2000. goto WinNT
>   :Win95
>   sleep 2s
>   net use h: /home
>   net use g: \\amayatra\groups
>   net use p: \\starfleet\ftp
>   net use s: \\amayatra\shared
>   goto netend
>
>   :WinNT
>   rem Map network drives to local drives
>   net use h: /home /PERSISTENT:NO
>   net use g: \\amayatra\groups /PERSISTENT:NO
>   net use p: \\starfleet\ftp /PERSISTENT:NO
>   net use s: \\amayatra\shared /PERSISTENT:NO
>   :netend
>
> "amayatra" is the machine on which the user home directories reside
(running FreeBSD); they are mapped to drive H: when the user logs in.  Other
directories and machines can also be mapped to drive letters, as you can
see.  "starfleet" is running samba on linux FC1 and shares certain
directories with the other machines.

> In the Windows Control Panel on the Win98 machine, open the "Network"
applet and select "Client for Microsoft Networks" and then click
"Properties."  Select "Log on to Windows NT domain" and enter the name of
the SMB domain you told samba to use. Under "Network logon options" select
"log on and restore network connections" and it should work for you.

> --
>
> -John (JohnThompson@xxxxxxxxxx)

Thanks I will try and see what I can do, I am rather new finding my learning
curve 90 degree up.

Chris Botha