Re: User management tool

Am Do, den 25.03.2004 schrieb Wengrzik, Andreas um 07:06:

> Good morning!

Hi Andreas!

> Yes iÂm speaking about X-less installation...
> Ok, i thought theres a tool which leads me through adding a user so i donÂt have to look each time
> which group number i have to use, maybe the groups has a standard which i should learn?! :)

By default normal user accounts get a single UID and GID. So i.e. a new
user called testdummy will get user ID 501 and group ID 501 - as long
these IDs are not already used. Creating a new user will by default
create a group with the same name too. Of course, you can give other
parameters for your needs.

A nice and helpful collection of UIDs and GIDs used by the system is to
be accessable at:

List of uid and gid numbers used in Red Hat Linux
http://freshrpms.net/packages/res/uidgid.html
List of valid "Group" field entries for Red Hat Linux
http://freshrpms.net/packages/res/groups.html

(Thanks to Matthias for this.)

> Alexander, maybe itÂs possible to write you some questions directly? I see youÂre from germany and
> for me itÂs much easier to write in german :) And whenever i search for a problem, i got an answer from you...

Sure you can contact me directly. But I would prefer if we can keep most
of the discussion and problem solving on the list. The chance is higher
that people contribute valuable tips and solutions - which one single
person certainly will not know all (just take the hint for "newusers"
command which I did not know before and which is great!) - and others
can benefit from the threats too, even if they have the actual problem
not for their own, but maybe later.

Though, feel free to contact me at my mail address if you think I can be
helpful. Of course it is often easier to express things with mother
tongue :)

> Thanks a lot.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 18:15:07 up 6 days, 2:57, load average: 1.59, 1.20, 1.12
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]