Problem with Gconfd

We have Fedora Core 1 loaded on most/all of our desktops here.  A few
desktops are giving me lots of trouble with Gconfd.  People log into the
receptionist desk, logout of receptionist desk, log into their own
desktop and gconf busts big time:

There was an error starting GNOME Settings Daemon....
The last error message was:
 Child PRocess did not give an error message, unkown failure occurred.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
in.

Then the panel apps start complaining (desktop switcher and tasklist).
This is what ~/.xsession-errors looks like:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/receptionist.kendeco.com:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2683
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

I usually "fix" it by hitting control-Alt-BackSpace, login as root,
clean out /tmp, reboot, and then they can log in again.  But it is a
royal PAIN.

Some Details:
We use GDM (DisallowTCP=false, NeverPlaceCookiesOnNFS=false)
Home directories are NFS mounted.
DISPLAY is set to hostname:0 (as in receptionist.kendeco.com:0)
 (this is so they can run apps remotely on our servers)
Authentication is using NIS

Any hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

--
Tom Cross <tomc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>