Re: Database Startup

Around 04:25pm on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 (UK time), George Lemos scrawled:

> However now I have to research how to get it all started up. Theres
> obviously setup that needs to be done because ran I ran the command
>
> Mysql
>
> ..and I got ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

MySQL is a client/server database, and the command mysql rruns the
client.  By default it tries to connect to a server running on
localhost, which wasn't there.  Find the documentation - possibly
/usr/share/doc/mysql/manual_toc.html and look at section 2 Installing
and section 3 Tutorial.

Yu may also want to consider running Webmin or phpMyAdmin to provide Web
based GUIs to the database.  Both are brilliant, especially phpMyAdmin.

Cheers

Steve

--

(o<     www.stevesearle.com