RE: What is smartd?

smartd is the SMART Disk Monitoring Daemon.  As for why
it is failing, I'd look for mentions in your log files:

cd /var/log
grep smartd *

and see what shows up.  You might also check
/etc/smartd.conf for anything that looks out of place (like
checking disks that don't exist or some such).

--
Henry Hartley