Re: spamassassin/user_prefs

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 09:34 am, Nigel Wade wrote:
> Charles Howse wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday 24 March 2004 08:29 am, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> >>Charles Howse kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 24.
> >>
> >>maaliskuuta 2004 15:18):
> >>
> >>sa-learn remembers the messages it has already seen and ignores
> >>them if you try to teach them again. So, it's not wrong, just a
> >>waste of time.
> >
> > That's good to know.  :-)
> > So I could set a cron job to run once a month, in the wee hours and have
> > it do:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > for i in Fedora inbox Kent Saved Stooges ; do
> >
> >         echo "Learning from" $i
> >         sa-learn --ham --dir /home/charles/Mail/$i/*
> >
> > done
> >
> > sa-learn --spam --dir /home/charles/Mail/Spam/*
> >
> > exit 0
> >
> > The results would then be emailed to me from the cron daemon.
>
> Don't do the inbox in the wee hours, any new messages you receive between
> the last to time you looked at your mail and the time the cron job runs
> will be learned as ham, even if it's spam. You'd need to undo that
> manually.

I always close my mail client when away from the computer for any length of
time (like overnight), so I should be OK there.

> Also, be careful if you use imap. If you move/delete messages from a
> mailbox they remain until those changes are committed. When that actually
> happens depends on the mail client and how it's configured. So, there's a
> possibility that spam might remain in your inbox even after you've
> deleted/moved it.

Hmmm...I use KMail 1.6, and have the settings for my ISP mail, as well as the
2 other computers on my home lan set to "Delete mail from server after
fetching."  There is no setting like that for local accounts, but I don't
expect any spam from myself.  ;-)

> (Don't forget to make sure sa-learn is on the path for cron).

It is.  :-)

- --
Charles Howse
Jackson, TN