Re: Keyboard setup is peeing me off

The keyboard actually sends a scan code when a key is pressed, then sends
another code when the key is released. And so far as I know, the scan code
for, say, the third button in from the right on the second row is the same no
matter whether you have a USA, British, French, Greek or any other keyboard.
It is the driver loaded onto the PC that interprets the codes to convert them
to the local characters.

And the num/caps/scroll lock lights do not light up just because you press the
Caps Lock etc. buttons. The computer sees the scan code from pressing the
Caps Lock button, then commands the keyboard to switch on the light in
response. This is why you can set up the BIOS to automatically set one of the
locks (is it the numeric lock?) when the computer powers up.

However, this is getting a bit off topic for the Fedora list.

Some time ago I had to do a reverse engineering job on the AT keyboard
controller, and did the job using an Atmel AVR chip. Just about any chip will
do the job, I just happen to have a C compiler for the AVR. I kept a file of
reference information I gathered from various places. If anybody wants a copy
send me an email privately, and I'll be more than happy to send it.

Regards,

Dave Fletcher