Re: RPM i386 vs i686 performance

Chris and others,
I can't measure window desktop response time,
but It seems to be faster than original packages.
I'm sorry, I know this is subjective.
But graphical desktop seems run faster on my athlon-xp
when I've rebuild X and KDE.
Also memory consuming is much fewer with rebuilded custom kernel
than original (or atrpms) one.
System is more fresh I think.
But I have no numbers, sorry. Give it a try ...

michal

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Michal Zeravik <michalz@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Yes, lots of people have tried. There is no real benefit in most cases.

What? Are you kidding? I've recompiled X, KDE and It's damn fast.

Please give hard numbers.  Every time someone has said this, they've
never been able to back it up with numbers (while others who have
investigated it have shown little measurable performance difference).