Re: lp, lpr and CUPS

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 02:26, Greg Ennis wrote:
> The problem I had was related to sending raw data to a PCL printer.  On RH 7.1 I was
> sending a formatted file with the command 'cat filename | lp -d lpt1' which worked
> perfectly.  When I tried to use this same command on FC1 all of the escapes of the
> PCL command sequences were filtered, and prevented from activating fonts and graphics
> on the printer.   On FC1 I could not find a way to use the lp command to send a PCL
> file to the printer

According to the CUPS documentation:
   lp -o raw -d lpt1 filename

Raw or Unfiltered Output:
  http://cups.org/sum.html#4_7

> Are their some links that can describe the differences between lp and lpr

When I find the provided man page isn't very helpful I look at the
Single UNIX Specification (aka POSIX) man page to see if it offers some
insight. The rationale often provides some historical background of the
command.  Of course, it only covers POSIX commands.
  http://www.unix.org/single_unix_specification/

The lp man page states that lp is from the System V print system and lpr
is from the BSD print system.  They perform similar functions.  (CUPS
appears to have implemented both commands based on the original
versions.)

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/