lp, lpr and CUPS

Everyone,

I have upgraded a RedHat 7.1 system to FC1 and have been gleaning many of the
advantages; the biggest of which appears to be the processing speed seems much
faster.  However, I am still finding some differences that become hurdles.

I finally got the printers working properly, but had to switch from the lp print
command to the lpr print command.  I have looked at the man pages and some web sites
but could not find an explanation as to what the major differences might be between
lp and lpr. I am using an HP4SI printer with the recommended hpijs driver. It seems
that HP has written this driver for ink jet as well as Laser printers that use the
PCL language.

The problem I had was related to sending raw data to a PCL printer.  On RH 7.1 I was
sending a formatted file with the command 'cat filename | lp -d lpt1' which worked
perfectly.  When I tried to use this same command on FC1 all of the escapes of the
PCL command sequences were filtered, and prevented from activating fonts and graphics
on the printer.   On FC1 I could not find a way to use the lp command to send a PCL
file to the printer and had to change the command line to 'cat filename | lpr -P
lpt1 -l'   It's not a big deal for me to change all of the print commands to the new
format, but I would like to understand more of what is happening with FC1.

Most of what I will want to send to the printer will be PCL files.  I would like some
more information  about the Linux print system as to what is CUPS actually doing to
convert an unformatted file for printing to a PCL or postscript printer.  Are their
some links that can describe the differences between lp and lpr, or what kind of
commands can be used to control font and graphic functions of the printer that will
not be filtered but rather activated allowing the control of the printer.

Thank you,

Greg Ennis