Re: su Usage

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 16:40, Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:13:58PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
> >
> > Can somone point me to a good doc on using "su"..
> >
> > I have always just logged in a root because security was not really an

But you know that's 'not a good thing'.

> With a standard user account if you type or click  one of the 60+ administrative
> functions you  will be prompted for the root pass word.  i.e. For these things
> you do not need to do a "su -".

Typing your root password many times each day maximizes opertunities for
finger-watchers.  And besides, it's a pain in the asterisk!

I have an icon on the panel that starts a terminal with the command

	xterm -fg white -bg '#000050' -e su -

This way, I only type root's password once.  The colors are to make the
window obviously different than the black-on-white gnome-terminals that
that I do "user" stuff in.

--
Oisin Curtin                        Oisin.Curtin (at) PhoenixFltOps.com
"Life is a non-renewable resource, use it well." -- Curly++, a survivor.