Re: An Update Package Apparently Breaks Python (My Bad!)

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 12:19, Tom Browder wrote:
> Several of my FC 1 packages have been broken since I used yum to
> update it last week.
>
> I would get a python traceback and, eventually, I found the problem.
> A missing symbol in libxml2.so.  I had done a local upgrade of libxml2
> before I upgraded to FC 1 so the local lib took precedence even though
> it had become outdated, hence the missing symbol.
>
> Lessons learned:
>
>   -Prefer either rpms OR manual updates, not both (tip of the hat to
> Scott Meyers)
>
>   -If you use manual upgrades, watch when upgrading a distribution
> since the rpm database will probably be in error (is there a way to
> manually modify it?).
>
> I prefer to use the rpm method but sometimes still need to upgrade
> packages that don't intially have a binary rpm.  So I guess I need to
> learn how to do my own rpms.  Does anyone have a preference for which
> of the two rpm books are out there?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom Browder

Try checkinstall. (google that).

It watches your install process, i.e. make install (or whatever you
specify), and catches all the write commands. it then generates an rpm
for you. you type in details like dependencies and names and stuff and
then it installs the rpm for you. so that it can be easily removed via
"rpm -e"

I just found it and it's a piece of genius.

Adam