RE: SPAM on the mailing list

Ronny Haryanto wrote:
> On 22-Mar-2004, Jeff Vian wrote:
>> It would be nice to know what it is.   I am on here often and I don't
>> send spam.

>> 	FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS, RCVD_IN_DYNABLOCK, RCVD_IN_SORBS
>
> Your email matches a number of SpamAssassin criteria, see above, each
> contributes to the total score of 9.093.
>
> Dynablock probably means you're sending from an IP address which are
> allocated dynamically (eg. dialup or broadband). RCVD_IN_SORBS
> probably means you're sending from an IP address which are listed in
> SORBS RBL. I don't know what BAYES_99 is, probably from redhat's spam
> learning database.
>
> I'm quite sure if you use your ISP's SMTP server to send your mails
> then the score would not be as high. Only FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS left,
> which is unfortunate because your actual email address' username part
> does end in numbers, but this one should carry a low score.
>
> Consult SpamAssassin for more authoritative information.
>
> Ronny

Reading this thread made me look at the headers of my posts to the redhat
based lists. Sure enough, the IP of my MTA is listed in the SORBS DUHL list.
Damn! Fricken Verizon (trying to be a netcitizen with the RBL's), is so big,
doesn't even know which of their customers are static vs. DHCP. I think this
will be the 3rd de-listing request I have sent to various RBL's in the past
couple of months. So far, each RBL has de-listed my IP netblock because
Verizon has changed the PTR record (per my request) for my IP address to
match my MTA's HELO announcment. According to Verizon, they don't change PTR
records for DHCP assigned address space, but yet my netblock is sent to
RBL's as DHCP assigned. GROAN!!

Sending a de-listing request to SORBS...
Steve Cowles