Sane works, Xsane broken

I managed to break my Xsane setup yesterday, and I wonder if someone could help me fix it.

I have an Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner.  Up until yesterday I was using it through Xsane, and it connected ok but there were some problems, e.g. it would hang if I tried to scan in greyscale.

In the course of trying to fix this I installed the latest rpm of iscan - a front end provided by Epson in Japan.  Not only did this not work, it made Xsane stop working (with a segmentation fault)

I uninstalled iscan - after that Xsane would run but showed 'no devices available' After a lot of messing around I got back to the stage where scanimage would find the scanner and in fact it now scans very well (no problem with the greyscale).  But Xsane still shows 'no devices'.

>From looking through the Xsane troubleshooting guide it seems likely that the problem is that I now have multiple copies of sane.  In fact I do seem to have sane libraries in both /usr/lib/sane and /usr/local/lib/sane.  But if I remove either set of libraries then sane stops working.

I've tried removing the configuration files in ~/.sane/xsane but that makes not difference.

I can't find any other configuration files that are for Xsane and not for Sane.

Could anyone advise on how I can clean up my Sane installation so that Xsane can use it?

Many thanks in advance

Þing

----
-----
----
Þing
Keeper of the Correctly Placed Apostrophe

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.