Re: Problems with dual boot and grub

How does toe BIOS know to go to that partition???

-- jludwig <wralphie@xxxxxxxxxxx> --------------------------

I don't think the BIOS knows. What I do know is that I can change the booting partition with "make this partition active" with Partition Magic or by using the "makeactive" command in the grub shell. Either way, I can make the computer, apparently, boot off the first partition with XP (in which case it comes up in XP), or on the ext3 partition containing /home/boot (in which case I get the "no operating system" prompt).

I presume the information about which partition is active is in (hd0); the stuff that's necessary to get XP going is in (hd0,0); and, what I thought (probably wrong) is that the boot for linux or grub or something is in (hd0,1).

I must be missing something. What?

		Ken Becker