Re: real time sound

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 09:04:10PM -0500, S. Gongola wrote:

> It seems like I can only get real time sound without a delay when I'm logged
> in only as root. How can I get real time sound when I'm logged in as a user.
> What device permissions do I need to change, or adding the user to a certain
> group can solve the problem.

If the delays are not an issue for 'root' and they are for you when
you are a normal 'user' then the issue is real time scheduling (or are
you doing more stuff).

You did not indicate which player you are working with.

For xmms there is a config option "Use realtime priority when
available".  But "realtime priority" is restricted to root.  N.B. with
real time scheduling it is possible to apparently lock up a system.

Anyhow RTS it is not available to mortals.  So....

First increase the buffer size.

Next perhaps open a window for a "su/su -" shell and run it there.

If 'root' is not an option the next trick is a bit more complicated.
Since xmms can browse, read and write files there are risks!

If you know, understand and trust xmms AND it's plugins build a
helper...  If you try marking xmms SUID=root and run it from a shell
prompt you will see this helpful hint that might apply to any player
that has RTS system calls coded in it:

    Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
    This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
    program instead. For further details, see:

	http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

    Refusing to initialize GTK+.

Good luck.
mitch