Re: Fedora Linux Starband??

M. Calvin Kashevarof wrote:
Does fedora work on WinXP Internet Connect Sharing (ics)??  I plan on getting starband sattleite internetr service for a very rural area and have used starband with ics for all my windows machines but have never tried to work linux on ics? is it possible? My windows xp will be hooked up directly to starband and it will feed internet to all my other machines including fedora if possible.

I'm pretty sure that WinXP ICS works similar to how it worked in Windows 2000 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Based on that assumption, the answer is "yes"
I've successfully set up ICS on Windows 2000, and from what I saw on my dad's PC, Win XP was about the same.

It automatically chooses IP address 192.168.0.1  From the Linux box, you just point the gateway to 192.168.0.1 and set up /etc/resolv.conf
The values will depend on your ISP, find out what your Windows settings are - it will be under DNS or Names Servers or something like that

here's mine :
$cat /etc/resolv.conf
search om.cox.net
nameserver 68.13.16.25
nameserver 68.13.16.30
nameserver 68.12.16.30

Here's a good how-to  (skip to the client setup sections since you're sharing from the Windows box)
http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/howto/c-html/index.html