boot problem

I just installed Fedora Core 1, made a /boot partition on hdb3 and created a
boot disk, and since i want to use the xp boot loader i created a
bootsect.lnx with:  dd if=/dev/hdb3 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1 , copied
it to c:\ and made the changes in boot.ini in win.

I have done this at least 10 times before, but now when i choose linux from
the boot menu, grub hangs with a "cursor" blinking in the upper left corner
of the screen. The boot disk works fine though...

Anyone with a tip on where to look for solving this?

Thanx,

kh