Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1367

> Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:08:43 +0200
> From: Rotariu Bogdan <bogdan@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Duplicating a partition remotely
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> try making images
> ex. dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb2
> On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 16:59, Robert wrote:
> > I have a hard drive containing archived stuff accumulated since Oct '99
> > (RH6.0) that is beginning to get errors. I need to get that stuff copied
> > to another drive in another machine. The two machines are networked, so
> > copying is no problem.  The problem I'm having is finding a way to
> > preserve ownership, permissions and date/time.  I've looked at rcp, ftp,
> > ftpcp, ftpcopy, wget, smbclient and some others whose names escape me
> > and haven't found (or have overlooked!) a way to preserve the attributes.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

You will probably want to use --atime-preserve (see below for an
explanation from the info page).

`--atime-preserve'
     Tells `tar' to preserve the access time field in a file's inode
     when reading it.  Due to limitations in the `utimes' system call,
     the modification time field is also preserved, which may cause
     problems if the file is simultaneously being modified by another
     program.  This option is incompatible with incremental backups,
     because preserving the access time involves updating the
     last-changed time.  Also, this option does not work on files that
     you do not own, unless you're root.
                                                                                Sorry for any confusion about tar.  Erik