Re: Fedora USB Problem

Following is what I needed to do to get FC1 to recognize my USB external
hard drive.

I.   Make certain that all of the required OS modules are available.
     Installation of the source modules for the version of the kernel
     currently in use is required.
     A. Open a terminal window.
     B. Enter "su -"
     C. Enter root password.
     D. Modify the module configuration
        1. Enter "cd /usr/src/linux;make xconfig"
        2. Make certain that the needed options are set to "Y".
           a. Under "USB support", I needed the following:
              1. USB support
              2. Preliminary USB device filesystem
              3. UHCI support
                 Some machines may require OHCI support instead
              4. USB Mass Storage support
                 Examine this list for the devices you may have
           b. Under "SCSI support" and "File systems" additional items
              needed to be checked for my configuration.
        3. Save & Exit
     E. At the command line, enter "make dep".
II.   Add the following line to /etc/modules.conf
        alias usb-controller usb-uhci
III.  Reboot the computer.

Additional comment:

I believe the the necessity for a procedure like this is hindering full
acceptance of Linux.  I had my USB hard drive operational under RH9, but
FC1 did not detect my settings, bringing them forward to the new
installation.  I filed a bugzilla request with Red Hat so that Anaconda
(the installer) would detect and maintain prior settings, but my request
was closed under "WONTFIX".

When one is upgrading from one version of an OS to another, it might be
well to use "make xconfig" on the old system to save the settings to a
file (that might be on a floppy).  After installing the new version,
"make xconfig" might be used to load the settings.

I lack the skill to do so, but I'd like to see a program written that
would be able to detect what one has attached to his computer and to
automate the above procedure.  The big problem, from my perspective, is
to learn what modules must be used for any given device and what lines
must be entered in modules.conf for any given device.  If it is not
possible for a program to detect what is attached to a computer before
the modules are installed, another option would be to list devices and
ask the user to select those that he has.  Are there any system
programmers willing to tackle a project like this?

Alan

P.S.  This is not just a Fedora problem.  It applies to earlier OS
versions also.