Re: up2date

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 18:36, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 15.03.2004 schrieb Troy Bishop um 00:57:

> > > up2date-nox -u
> > >  --> for normal update process
> > >
> > > up2date-nox -i -f kernel kernel-source
> > >  --> forcing installation of newer kernel image and kernel source
> > >
> > > Alexander
> >
> > What would be the way to properly run up2date to get the kernel and
> > kernel-source updated without losing my nvidia network card settings???
> > I loaded them using the bottom command above but did not get
> > satisfactory results... perhaps i will try uninstalling them and retry
> > using up2date gui.
> >
> > Troy
>
> Troy,
>
> as the NVidia driver is a kernel space module the driver has to _always
> fit the running kernel_. Independent on how you upgrade your kernel, you
> will always have to rebuild the NVidia graphics driver module (kernel
> upgrade here means changed source!).
>
> I hope this answers your question, even it satisfies you not. From my
> experience it is quickly done: 2 command runs with ~ 2 minutes.
>
> Alexander

Thanks, thats what I figured.  For some reason when i run

make

make install

on the new kernel it doesn't recognize my on board nforce ethernet
after the install/reboot.  Going to try uninstall from that kernel and
see if rerunning it will fix the problem.

Any idea what version of nvidia drivers are appropriate for athlon CPU
kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl?  I have the ones for ia32, but perhaps i
should try the ones for AMD64?

Troy