RE: up2date

Pierre De Boeck said:
> Ok thanks a lot.
>
> But still a few questions about update in general because I am a
> little confused.
>
> I know at least rpm, yum and up2date for updating packages and now
> there is yet another one:up2date-nox.

[whooper@butters whooper]$ ll /usr/sbin/up2date-nox
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 7 Feb 24 17:51 /usr/sbin/up2date-nox -> up2date

up2date-nox is just a shortcut to typing "up2date --nox".

> rpm I think is used only if you have already downloaded the rpm files
> and yum and up2date perform the download and optionally the updates
> (using rpm I suppose). Am I right up to this point?

Yes up2date and yum use rpm to install the updates (more accurately rpmlib
I believe, not the rpm program itself).

> Now my questions:
>
> - can I mix updates with yum and up2date. And are the rpms updated
> by yum visible with rpm -q?

They are installed via rpm, so yes.

> - why to use up2date-nox io up2date?

Because it runs it in text mode instead of bringing up a GUI.  It is hard
to copy and paste output from a GUI.

> - are the default options in the up2date config file ok for doing a
> complete update, including kernel? I have a fresh FC1 2.4.22-1.2115
> and I want the latest updates (2174) with kernel-source.

That is what up2date is for.  The exception being using a mirror instead
of the main server so that your update goes smoother.

--
William Hooper