Re: FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Am So, den 14.03.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 06:10:

> Ok Ok!
> I am irritable right now I still cant get this up2date story working, I
> struggle with command line stuff, I am by no means a programmer. I would
> like to get my linux system to do simple things, at least simple to me.
>
> Here is my list of snags, lets see if we can sort them out one by one.
>
> 1. Up2date hangs when reading headers

This has an own thread "Kernel Upgrade Help needed!"

Did you try setting the proxy for up2date inside the source file with
"httpProxy=proxyhost.domain.tld:3128 _and_ exporting
"http_proxy=proxyhost.domain.tld:3128", as well with "export
HTTP_PROXY=$http_proxy" (exporting proxy_user and proxy_passwd as well)?

> 2. My kernel needs upgrading to install a USB printer.

Why does an USB printer need a different kernel? Can you be specific:
which model, which driver required, for what reason kernel exchange?

> 3. I have a USB modem that is provided with a Linux driver but I also
> need to upgrade my kernel for that

Which USB modem? Are you sure there are no FC1 compiled drivers already
available i.e. throug Dag Wieer's repository? Even if not, you in
certainly most cases you do not need to rebuild the whole kernel but
only need to have the fitting kernel source installed to build the
device driver module.

> 4. I would like to install a DJ Mixer for XMMS or a media library so
> that I can search for a song in my digital audio list and queue it in
> the main playlist of XMMS

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ has quite a lot of
audio applications compiled for FC1. Nothing there for you?

> 5. I need to install some rave special effect software that requires QT
> 1.4. I am busy compiling [its been going since 3am]

That application need qt version 1.4? Wow, what an old peace of software
must that be. Certainly from last century (1998 or so).

> 5. I need to be able to rip mp3s @ 196kbit sample rate in ten minutes. I
> normally rip peoples CDs at gigs straight to the hard drive while they
> wait. this prevents CDs disappearing and getting damaged, and even
> mixed. Parties get quite wild after everyones had a few you know.

And what is the problem with that?

> 6. The problem I have is that most of the stuff I am looking for isn't
> available in rpm format. and isn't in the repositories.

If you know how to use the compiler it should be no problem at all.

> So how do we continue?

Giving details?

> Chad

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:00:14 up 5 days, 17:19, load average: 0.10, 0.08, 0.03
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]