Re: Problems with Fedora Core 1 - please help

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 05:57, Tariq Rashid wrote:

> 1) I have external hard disk. I installed 8.0 on the
> external hard disk and created boot floppy disk. I
> only created one partition on the external hard disk
> (/dev/sda1). I also created GRUB loader on my internal
> hard disk (C drive). Now, I can only boot Linux from
> the floppy disk. I can not bring up the Window 98 OS
> from the C drive. When I try to boot from the C drive,
> I get GRUB READ FAILURE message.  How can I load
> Window 98 from the hard disk without lossing any data?

Boot with GRUB rescue disk, then do a grub-install /dev/hda

So that you can boot without issues.

> 2) When I try to upgrade RH 8.0 to FC 1, the anaconda
> intaller can not identify /dev/sda1, i.e. it can not
> recognize that RH. 8.0 already present. The installer
> only shows me /dev/hda1. So, I boot the RH. 8.0, log
> in  as root, mount /mnt/cdrom to load FC1 and ran
> autorun. The FC1 anaconda installer came up and
> displayed "ADD/DEL PACKAGES..' windown, it ran for
> some time and showed my all the packages it found.
> Since, I do not know much of the details about all the
> packages, I aborted the installation. Is this the
> right way to upgrade FC1 from RH. 8.0? How can I have
> FC1 initial installation recognize my external hard
> drive?

Is it a USB one? Or a Firewire one? If Firewire, read
http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/week2.shtml under the title "Fedora on
machines with Firewire"

--
Colin Charles, byte@xxxxxxxxxxx