Problems with Fedora Core 1 - please help

Hello, I'm new in Linux. I'm encountering several
problems in upgrading Fedora Core 1 from RH. 8.0. Let
me list my problems. I will greatly appreciate your
technical help on these problems.

1) I have external hard disk. I installed 8.0 on the
external hard disk and created boot floppy disk. I
only created one partition on the external hard disk
(/dev/sda1). I also created GRUB loader on my internal
hard disk (C drive). Now, I can only boot Linux from
the floppy disk. I can not bring up the Window 98 OS
from the C drive. When I try to boot from the C drive,
I get GRUB READ FAILURE message.  How can I load
Window 98 from the hard disk without lossing any data?

2) When I try to upgrade RH 8.0 to FC 1, the anaconda
intaller can not identify /dev/sda1, i.e. it can not
recognize that RH. 8.0 already present. The installer
only shows me /dev/hda1. So, I boot the RH. 8.0, log
in  as root, mount /mnt/cdrom to load FC1 and ran
autorun. The FC1 anaconda installer came up and
displayed "ADD/DEL PACKAGES..' windown, it ran for
some time and showed my all the packages it found.
Since, I do not know much of the details about all the
packages, I aborted the installation. Is this the
right way to upgrade FC1 from RH. 8.0? How can I have
FC1 initial installation recognize my external hard
drive?

Thanks in advance for your technical suggestons.

Regards.