Re: stability of fedora for server application?

Dexter Ang wrote:

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:01, shane c branch wrote:

I currently have RH9 running on one of my servers at work. Now that the RH project has ended and Fedora has taken its place, I'm considering either upgrading or reinstalling that box with Fedora.

However, I'm concerned if Fedora will be stable enough for the server. I would move to RHEL, but my dept isn't too keen on spending money at this point, which also has me considering going to Debian, as it has a reputation for stability.

Any opinions appreciated.

This would all depend on what you need. As for me, I am running Fedora Core 1 on our server without an problems so far. It's running the following services: - DNS - DHCP Server - Samba File Server - SMTP and POP3 - MySQL, Apache, PHP for Groupware - iptables for firewall and NAT. Hardware it's running on is generic stuff. No name brand servers here. With 3 IDE 40gb HDD configured as RAID5 array. We're cheap. But it runs great. Of course, load is hardly ever maximized (maybe 50% at most). Again, stability, I guess, would depend on what you use the server for. Generally, Fedora is stable enough as a server. But I hear it's a pain for SMP machines.

dex

SMP on a minimum install is fine.. Something on a desktop or workstation install is not happy with the FC SMP kernels..

On my Desktop I solved the SMP problem by building a kernel using the standard kernel.org source and the FC .config file.. So far (about a month now) I haven't had a single hickup on the SMP kernel.. :)

Later..