User account for service, auto starting service.

Few questions pertaining to a fedora fc1 server I just set up to host a game
server. I went to the archive but got a big red "Temporarily Unavailable".

1. In windows you can go to services and tell it what user account to run
that service at. If I understand this correctly, in order to do that in
Linux do you install the program files into a particular users home
directory in order for it to run as that user? If this is not how it works
in Linux, how does a person get a server process to operate under another
account other than root?

2. I am able to run the game server process when logged in as this
particular user by going to the home directory and typing in the long
command to get it going. I was told I can get it to go on automatically upon
boot-up if I enter a line into /etc/rc.d/rc.local pointing directly to the
program to run. Didn't seem to work. What is the correct way to fire up a
service upon startup of the server?

3. Finally, when entering in a command to start a server process and ending
it with an &, isn't it supposed to stay running? When connecting via putty
and I start this program manually and put an & at the end, then turn off
putty essentially killing the session, the server process I started ended.
Am I interpreting the use of & incorrectly?

Thank you for your assistance.

-George