RE: samba Problem

Wow... Get busy with customers for a coupld of days
(work is GOOD!!!! ;-))
and just look what happens...

Well this thread has mutated a bit, so first a little on
the topic that started it...

The Browser:  A wonderfully deceptive simple little
thing. Since the concept was first introduced in '95
Microsoft's response to browser problems has almost
always been a resounding "DON'T TRUST THE BROWSER!"

It has gotten better over the years, but it's still one
of Microsoft's bastard children that is only sometimes
supported and only then in a homogenous all MS network.

Bottom line: Leave the browse list maintenance to
Microsoft machines. Samba works great as a browser
client, but not as a master, at any level.

Also, just because a network resource shows up in the
browse list doesn't mean it's available. Conversly, just
because a network resource DOESN'T show up in the browse
list doesn't mean it's NOT available.

Now on to the rest...

> Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 1:52 PM, Mario
St-Gelais wrote...

> I am just about to fuckin give up here!!!!
>
> Did you suggested changes.  NO success.   But on top
of that, now it
> won't let me run smbclient -L localhost.  I get
messages like :
>     "tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD" or
"session setup
> failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".
>
> I have to comment the line "valid users =
marst,mastg7" in the global
> settings in order to avoid getting these messages.
>
> I am shutting every thing down.  Had enough of that
crap.

Wow! Talk about frustration. Hope you've had enough time
to calm down...

Hate to tell you this, but this feels like a case of
trying too hard. I've been using Samba since very early
in the 2.x series and have never had problems like this.
Most of the default settings work just fine on most
networks. You may have managed to tweak a little too
much.

Please post your current smb.conf and 'ls -al' listings
of the parent directories of the directories you're
trying to share. Also, your smbpasswd file. I'll be glad
to see what I can find.

One thing that came to mind just now. In order for samba
to work correctly, smb user IDs and passwords must have
matching linux IDs and passwords. SMB network visibility
to the resources you're sharing is controlled by samba,
but directory and file access is handled by PAM.

If you have users that exist in the smbpasswd file that
don't exist in the linux passwd file then you have only
half the security context defined. That could lead to
the kind of messages you've posted above.

HTH!

> "Good judgment comes from
> experience- usually experience
> which was the result of poor judgment"