KDM logout shutdown reboot -- blank screen sortof

KDE 3.2 on FEDORA using KDM

My computer starts ok auto-logins with kdm and starts kde
The problem is when i exit KDE with MENU >> LOGOUT

When i select Restart Computer or Turn off computer
My computer restarts or shuts down respectively, the difference is with gdm,
<gdm did work correctly> it doesn't show me any of the shutdown scripts with
the OK confimation, it just displays a black screen with my pointer frozen
in the last place where i left it. but it does restart or shutdown my
machine in the backround.

When i select End Session Only KDE terminates and leaves a black screen with
my pointer frozen in the last place where i left it. I can't see anything
els even if i change to a terminal screen.
KDM doesn't seem to reinitialize. But if i do Ctrl-Alt-F1, login blindly as
root and do a "init 3;init 5" my computer auto-logins with kdm and starts
kde.

any suggestions