Re: samba Problem

Ryan Duff wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:34:43 -0500 (EST), Luc Bouchard <luc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ryan Duff said:

and did a service smb restart and went to work and when I came home
everything had fiextd itself and I can now browse from my windows machine.

The moral of the story is that if you can't browse your network, you have 2
or more machines fighting to be PCD.

You seem to be confusing the roles of the Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or Master
Browser (MB).

The PDC is the server that provides user and resource authentication for a given domain.
The MB is the server that checks the NetBIOS network looking for hosts. It is the tool
responsible for making sure that pretty icons appear when double-clicking on Network
Neighbourhood.

Your problem stems from the fact that Windows XP was trying to dominate your network. Both solutions suggested would fix the problem.

My bad. I was thinking of going to bed when I typed that. To fix my previous statement:

"The moral of the story is that if you can't browse your network, you have 2 or more machines fighting to be Master Browser."

Ryan

Hope you won't be thinking of going to bed when you come up with a solution for me ;)

--
Mario St-Gelais