Re: Apple Cinema Display on Fedora Core 1?

Christopher Bottaro wrote:

hello,
a month or so ago, our IT dept bought a bunch of new Apple Cinema Displays for our office. we all use linux/unix machines here, and after about a week of not getting the displays to work with Redhat 9, they gave up and decided to get Power Macs to use with the displays.

well, it took a month for me to realize that i like linux much better than os x (gimmie back my kde and gnu stuff, damnit! ;) and now i want a linux machine again. the problem is that i just can't part with this beautiful monitor! granted the IT guys failed, but i'm >sure< there is a way to get this monitor to work with fedora core 1...anyone have any success?

correct me if my terminology is wrong or whatever. but its a DV monitor and only accepts DV input. so to use with a standard SVGA graphics card, i need some kinda converter cable or a video card with DV output. can anyone suggest a good, cheap video card to do this? or should i not bother and go with the converting cable?

the problem the IT guys had was with the xserver (of course). the display worked fine until the xserver started, then it just displayed a bunch of noise.

If you install the X11 and gcc from the OS X cd's then you can install kde and gnome from fink or darwin ports.
That way you can have all the apple compatability as well as the kde and gnome applications you like. :-)

I am not exactly sure how to use fink or darwin ports, or where the X11 and gcc stuff is on the insatll cd's, but on of my freinds told me they work well. My boss keeps threatining me that I have to give up my Linux box, and I have told him that I need it for unix software development. He has lately suggested that I will be getting my managers G4 with OS X when he gets his G5. If that happens I guess I'll find out how fink and darwin ports works. My boss has not said lately that I will have to give up my linux box, just that I will be getting the G4.

Hopefully you can get your gnome and kde working on your OS X box.