Re: Kernel Upgrade Help needed!

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 18:30, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> Is this going to bust my chops for weeks on end?
> I have tried about 2 months ago with the 2.6 Kernel and the PC wouldnt
> boot the network crashed and more so I was fortunate at the time to have
> read another mail from the list where backing up the kernel was
> explained and I was able to restore my system.

Two months ago, I think that 2.6 was still experimental (I could be
wrong). Anyway, I have gotten the best results from downloading the
latest 2.6 from kernel.org (rather than the Fedora test version).

I prefer make menuconfig over xconfig. The configurator just seems to
flow better - for me.

With 2.6 I have also obtained the best results by deleting modules.conf
from /etc and hwconf from /etc/sysconfig (actually I mv these to a
backup name).

Don't forget to create a /sys directory and then add:

none           /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0

to /etc/fstab.

Then set kudzu to on. When configuring, add as many modules as you think
might be necessary. Linux only uses what it needs. Some people have
found it necessary to substitute the root partition device for LABEL in
grub.conf. In other words, if you have a problem change root=LABEL=/ to
root=/dev/hda3 or whatever it is.

The process  that I use seems to work almost every time:

make mrproper
make menuconfig
make all
make modules_install