Re: CVS: why still 1.11.5?

At 12:00 3/8/2004, you wrote:
On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:50:31 -0600
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Don't know, but you might want to "rpm -qi cvs" on your computer, then
> "rpm -q --changelog cvs" and look for the package maintainer. Send
> him/her a nice email asking why a newer package hasn't been released,
> and see what you get back. :-)

Nice tip, will do that too. I am affraid though that people personal
email might not get through, but it's definitely worth a try.

Package maintainers are generally very connected people. If they didn't strongly care about something, they would not have undertaken so public a mission where they need to get feedback, comments, requests, etc. So I'd give excellent odds that the email address is good, they check it N times a day, and you get an answer. :-)

One tends to forget that in Linux, there are always at least a couple of people you can ask about anything: the developer, the maintainer, the distro, and the mailing lists. In the MS world, you pretty much talk to just MS. So questions like "why not the newer version?" basically just don't get asked, since you're not going to be told anyway.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com