Re: whole screen blinking when typing in xterm or gnome-terminal.

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 08:04, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Tom Taylor <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, spake thus:
>
> > Cheok Yan Cheng wrote:
> >
> > >there is one serious problem that i had encounter. my whole screen will blink when i do the following operation on xterm or gnome-terminal.
> > I don't think it's actually a problem, more of a 'feature'. It's some
> > kind of visual feedback. I find it enabled when I use 'screen'.
>
> This is probably the terminfo visual bell "vb" attribute.  You can
> probably pick a different value for your $TERM environment variable
> that does not have the "vb" attribute set.  Try this:
>
> 	$ tack $TERM			<-- Starts tack(1M)
> 	n				<-- Menu item: begin testing
> 	e				<-- Menu item: edit terminfo
> 	w				<-- Menu item: write terminfo
> 	q				<-- Quit program
> 	$ grep :vb: $TERM		<-- See if :vb: option is set
>
> If your selected TERM has the :vb: attribute, pick another $TERM that
> doesn't.
>
> Cheers!

There is actually a bug related to this. The option does not work
correctly when you first enable it. The default setting when enabled it
to flash the title bar only. However, it actually flashes the entire
screen. If you select the flash screen option and then reselect flash
title bar I think it will work correctly.

You may have to save the flash screen setting and then switch back to
flash title bar before it flashes the title bar instead of the screen.