Re: HTML Links on Evolution

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 08:44:30AM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> A mailing list is definitely not the place for HTML mail. However, on the
> flip side of the coin I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation from even
> the most rabid fanatic on why I should stop using HTML....

hmmm..

There is no reason why _you_ should stop using HTML ;-)

   BUT

There are good reasons why other folks should and do reject HTML
in favor of pure text.

If a person reads beautiful HTML as a matter of course, spam and other
abusive mail will present itself in all its naked glory.  More
insideous and important than the visible assault are the one pixel
invisible images that verify that you read the message.  This is how
some spammers get paid and how the maintainers of spam lists measure
the value of their lists.  If you turn off HTML this part of the spam
process ($$) can be eliminated.

Next HTML permits and invites Java and or JavaScript to be included in
your HTML message.  Thses scripts can be interpreted by your mail reader.
See: <s cript language= "JavaScript"> In some cases Java and JavaScript have
been used to bad ends.  Since these are programming languages there is
a very real balance between functionality and security.  For the most
part, you as a mail reader will never know if well crafted HTML
message contains a script or what it did.

Most HTML is transported as a MIME attachment.  Most HTML is "safe"
but not all MIME attachments are safe.  Some attachments are serious
trouble.  So setting up rules for MIME (mime.types, mailcap) to always
do safe things all the time is hard.

Consider how many individuals might respond yes when prompted by a
JavaScript menu:

	 Click [Yes]/no to view   ExecutiveCompensation.txt                                                                                                                   .exe cutive Board room tricks by Martha exposed.

So in a high volume mailing list sending pure text is a courtesy.  It
eliminates the need for your readers to be cautious of a long list of
problems.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net