Re: Palm sync

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:40:36 -0600
msjones773 <msjones773@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was able to get my Handera palm to sync with gnome pilot through my serial port as root. When I log in as user gnome pilot does not
reconise my palm. I chmod dev/pilot 666 but no luck. When I go to the
file /dev/pilot it says link broken. Not sure what that means. What
should I try in order to get my palm to sync as user?

You need the usb-serial and visor modules loaded to use the pilot. Have you checked to see that they are available when you try to sync?

-- -John (JohnThompson@xxxxxxxxxx) --__--__--

Well, I don't have a usb Visor so I didn't try that. What I did do was delete my /dev/palm file and start over. I logged in as root and typed into terminal: "ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot" (without quotations).
Then: chmod 666 /dev/ttyS0
When I opened gnome pilot it instantly recognized my palm and synced to it. Then I logged out as root and logged in as user and tried. Gnome pilot recognized my palm and synced! I think my problem stemmed from the fact that the first time I tried to set it up I was logged in as user and opened a terminal and su to root. The second time I actually logged in as root. I guess that made the difference. Many things to learn as a newbie! Thanks for your help.
Mark