Re: "Make"

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:16, Ajit Warrier wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am new to linux and I need some help. I have an
> admtek 8211 wireless card and their site only has RPMs
> for RHL8 and 7. Since I have Fedora Core 1, I cannot
> use those. Consequently I have downloaded the driver
> files but I do not know how to go about installing it.
> I think I need gcc and kernel sources but I am not
> sure. Can someone please let me have the steps I need
> to follow to get my card to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ajit

> http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Hi Ajit,

	First you need to make sure you have the proper tools.

kernel source code
    #rpm -qa|grep kernel-source

GNU C
    #gcc --version

GNU make
    #make --version

binutils
    #ld --version

modutils
    #insmod -V

Use your favorite updating agent to obtain any that you don't have. VERY
IMPORTANT - make sure your kernel source matches the version of the
kernel you are using.

Extract your sources into a directory that you have full privileges on.
Generally the process is like so ,but PLEASE check the files you
downloaded. It "should" come with a readme that will have specific
directions.

As root issue the following commands:

#make clean
#make
#make install

This will compile the driver for you.  Then you need to load the
driver.  Generally the command is:

 #/sbin/insmod driver

where driver is name of the kernel module you just made. ( Hint: if the
output of make is admtek.o the module would be admtek)

Then you need to create a RAM Disk to boot from

#/sbin/mkinitrd  --with=driver /boot/initrd.ft `uname -r`

(Again driver is the kernel module)

And finally you need to update grub to use the new RAM disk. Open
/etc/grub.conf in your favorite editor.  Find the section for your c
urrent kernel.  Mine looks like this.

title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb hdc=ide-scsi
hdd=ide-scsi
	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.img

Change the line for the initrd to point to the new RAM disk. In this
example change the last line to

	initrd /initrd.ft

Reboot and you should be set. The install process does vary somewhat
with different modules.  If you run into any troubles we'll try to help.
Good luck!

Wayne Steenburg