Re: OT gripe [Was: Thanks!]

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 10:03 -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

> Just to pick a bothersome nit, but 'PC' (personal computer) refers only
> to the -hardware-, not the software running on it (PCs are traditionally
> based on AT or XT form factor x86 compatible systems).
>
> "They are coming from PCs, not linux boxes" doesn't strictly make sense,
> as most personal linux boxes are PCs (as opposed to PowerPC or server
> systems).

    Well, I see the hardware as a smaller part of the puzzle; once
you've worked on three different machines of vastly different arch's and
used exactly the same command set on each, you might feel that way, too.
A "Linux box" just describes the platform, but it also tells something
about the social aspect, too- the expectations from the exact same
hardware are much less under Windows, for example.

    And besides...putting Linux on *any* hardware makes it better, no?

    :)

>  From context, I suspect you meant to say something like "they are
> coming from Windows, not Linux, PCs".

    Yep: I was counting on your having a sense of context.

> I apologize for the OT issue, but this is one of those little
> wrongnesses that really bugs me for some reason, so I'm on a general
> quest of education to stamp it out.

    Well good luck with it; there are only two wrongnesses that really
bother me: Microsoft and Satan. I have a feeling they both have the same
mailing address, though.

    :)

Brian FahrlÃnder                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262