Re: Fedora the right choice?

George Lemos wrote:

I am building a server to do several things. Host a simple website and web
forum, host a voice communications utility, and run a multiplayer game
server for about 20-25 people. FYI system specs P4 1.4ghz, 1GB ram. I can
easily get this going on a windows server which is what I do for a living.
But in an effort to force myself to learn and get more experience with Linux
I would like to commit to running this box with Linux.

Linux may use less of the boxes resources too.

Is fedora the right choice for me? Will this distro of Linux get me to the
level of success I am looking for? I'm planning on doing this the command
line route all the way. I am assuming if I install this OS minus the GUI
I'll have extra resources for the box to do its thing.

As a Linux novice, anything I should know or look into, be aware of, etc
that people on this list can recommend to me will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
/g

My advice is to do a minimum install on your server and then use YUM to install the components and packages you need, worked like a dream for my server..

Also make sure to checkout Webmin ( www.webmin.com ) which is a web based admin suite that I have found to be the best way to manage a Linux server in a GUI way without needing to insatll all the X stuff.. Just get the RPM from the webmin website, install it, open a web browser and point to port 10000 and you are away.. Truely a "killer app"..

Then add some time to go through the Linux learning curve and you are all set..

Welcome to a whole new way of computing.. Before long you will be running Linux on your desktop as well.. :)

Later..