Interchanging GNOME and KDE

Well,I recently upgraded to Fedora Core 1 from  RedHat Linux 8.
Now,I find I cannot interchange between GNOME and KDE from
the graphical boot  screen.I can change to Failsafe though.Whatever
else I choose everything works fine except I logon only to the default
session.I can change the default session though from inside.

However,from text mode the 'switchdesk' utility works perfectly without any
problem.

I also had 'xpde' as a alternative desktop but after upgrade I cannot
find it as an option at the boot screen even though my previous
configurations remains intact.Also now my 'kword' doesnot run and I am logged
out if I try to run 'xine'.

Can I get any help?

My computer is generally used for desktop work.