Re: PC-to-Phone applications

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 23:21 -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've been trying to experiment some applications to do pc-to-phone calls
> in fedora.

    Me, too.  Lotsa broadband, no switching mechanism.  And, I'm not
sure how all that works, since I'm a sysadmin by career, not a telecom
programmer.

> I've discovered that gnomemeeting can use only a US$150 device which
> would allow me do that, what is not an option (I a had 150 bucks I would
> call by phone to my sister)

    That works...I don't know how, but I'll bet it's worth the money.
And the IP Phones from Cisco are, too, but I've not had experience with
it.

> I'm still downloading linphone, so I'll post any success with it.

    Don't bother.  Not because they're losers or anything; I respect and
admire their contribution, but it's like a slice of GnomeMeeting, which
around here has worked better than anything for telephony-type
applications.

> Does anyone had success with any other application? It was not that easy
> to find those other ones on google - it looks hidden :-)

    It might be; the powers-that-be would be in a hurry to buy out any
technology that requires only a hardware purchase to make longdistance
calls to friends or businesses for free, ya know...

    Think about setting her up on Linux so that she can use
GnomeMeeting...or, if she won't convert, YOU can call her at any time
via NetMeeting, but she won't be able to see YOU.  They wanted to hide
anything not from a Microsoft Netmeeting(c) client, but otherwise it
works just fine.  (Per the GM FAQ.)

    Good luck!

Brian FahrlÃnder                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262