Re: D-Link Wireless Hardware Support

On Tuesday March 2, 2004 "Gerry Doris" <gdoris@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> In my area there only seem to be two main wireless vendor products for
> sale.  The first is D-Link and the second is LinkSys.  I personally have
> used and like D-Link and I also noticed that their new wireless hardware
> is operating at 108MB/sec.
>
> I don't believe that the current crop of D-Link hardware is supported
> under Fedora???  Are there any plans to support it with Fedora 2 or the
> 2.6 kernel?

Gerry,

A better question is "When will D-Link support Fedora 2 or the 2.6 kernel?"

Lately D-Link has been using some components whose OEMs forbid them from
making any programming information public. An example of this is their
DWL-A650 802.11a card. For more than a year the D-Link web site advised us
Linux folks to "be patient". When I ran out of patience and wrote to
D-Link about this, I received a terse reply saying "We don't support
Linux." Duh!

If the manufacturer of a wireless card won't publish its technical specs,
there's very little anybody can do to create a Linux driver for Fedora, or
any other distribution for that matter.

My personal rule of thumb:  D-Link is D-Worst.  I suggest you try Linksys.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL