Re: laptop without floopy...disable in kernel and boot cdrom

ronnie escobedo became daring and sent these 0.8K bytes,
> I have a dell inspiron 5100  running fdc 1 and xp. My system does not come
> with a floppy. So there are a few things I'd like to do:
>
> 1. How do I disable the floppy drive in the kernel? When I shut my laptop
> down I get an error similar to:
> "insmod floppy...failed"

I have an inspiron 1100 with no floppy as well, to get around the
modules i just added "alias floppy off" to my /etc/modules.conf. Also
takes care of the insmod errors on boot.

> 2. Since I do not have a floppy I'd like to create a boot disk on a cd  and
> I'd also like to put grub on cd. I've searched the net for about 2 months
> trying to get a boot disk and grub on cds. Any help or links appreciated.

I have found this handy on this topic:
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/floppy_image_on_cd.htm

Good luck.

--