Re: One for the kernel Guru's..

Uttered WipeOut <wipe_out@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, spake thus:

Since you describe yourself as a newbie in this area, please allow me
to offer some direction.

> I have recently built my kernel from the sources on kernel.org (2.4.25)
> so that I could get a stable SMP kernel on FC..

What on Earth makes you think that the latest kernel.org version de jure' is
stable?  Often, kernel.org versions have intentional errors that
break stuff, just to force all the myriad device driver writers and
other contributors to clean up their act.  As a wise man once taught
me: "Newness is not a virtue".

At least when the Fedora staff does a release, there has been _some_
consistency and interoperability testing.  That said, if you like
hanging on to the bleeding, leading edge with your finger nails, feel
free.  That's why it's there.

If you are having a specific problem with the Fedora SMP kernel, then
please submit a bug report at http://bugzilla.fedora.com and help us
all.

> Will the fact that I am now running a 2.4.25 kernel cause my system to
> have problems in terms of compatibility with packages that use the older
> original kernel? for example glibc-kernelheaders..

Kernel rule #1: The kernel is the kernel and applications are
applications and never shall their source code be intertwined.
(Translation: application programs don't give a hoot in Hades about kernel
sources and headers.)  Only glibc really has to care, so if you aren't
hacking that too, then you should have no more difficulty than
anybody else ;-)  Check the kernel documentation to determine the
appropriate modutils and glibc compatible with your version.

> Will I have problems building packages that make use of the kernel
> source or glibc-kernelheaders?

When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

Cheers!