Re: One for the kernel Guru's..

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:54:48 +0000
WipeOut <wipe_out@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have recently built my kernel from the sources on kernel.org
> (2.4.25) so that I could get a stable SMP kernel on FC..
>
> Since I am not so good on these things I have a couple of questions..
>
> Will the fact that I am now running a 2.4.25 kernel cause my system to
> have problems in terms of compatibility with packages that use the
> older original kernel? for example glibc-kernelheaders..

Probably not. Within the same series (eg. 2.2.x, 2.4.x etc.), I have
never had such problems -- even if I played with both vanilla and RH
kernels.

> Will I have problems building packages that make use of the kernel
> source or glibc-kernelheaders?

Again, not likely to happen -- at least not among RH-kernels. I had a
problem once when I switched from a RH-kernel to a vanilla (non-NPTL)
kernel, but aside from this, things always went down calm enough.

HTH

Andre

PS: I am far from being a kernel guru, just sharing my experience...

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa