Re: RH ES2.1, how to upgrade to kernel 2.6?

Sorry, doesn't work that way. Oracle has very specific glibc dependancies that it requires to install. and our vender's proprietary product also has very unforgiving gcc and glibc requirements for their code to compile. i'll keep trying. thanks fo rthe help though.

Michael Peppard wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adam Williams
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 5:24 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RH ES2.1, how to upgrade to kernel 2.6?

Because my company relies on a proprietary piece of software that requires oracle 9, and oracle 9 is only support on rh es 2.1 from our vendor. but since this server will soon be our primary server, the tape drive autoloader will be on it, and I need large file support for samba so I can transfers the backups from the other servers to this one to write to the tape. I was able to get all of the rpms I needed updated, I foudn what I needed on rpmfind.net. But kernel 2.6 still won't compile :(

William Hooper wrote:

Adam Williams said:

Hi, I know this list is for fedora, but I don't know of an

enterprise

mail list,

and I figured some of you out there may run ES 2.1 and

could help. I

have a server I need to upgrade to kernel 2.6 for >2GB file

size for

samba file support.

[snip]

any suggestions?
Thanks!

Since you are invalidating the support anyway, why not try

either FC1

or one of the FC2 test releases?

Of course if you want to keep support, try RHEL 3. Not sure

if it will

fix the issue or not.

ES 2.1 is a redhat product that's using a specialized 2.4.9 kernel. Some of Mr. Cox's additions to kernel 2.6 are already in it, particularly if you've used your subscription to fix vunerabilities. ES 3 has even more of 2.6 in it. You will have some serious problems finding **RPM's** that let you change your kernel to "2.6" given that this shuts off your support from Redhat and Redhat themselves haven't finished upgrading to kernel 2.6.

Short answer:
Upgrade to Fedora core 1
su - root
cp /etc/redhat-release /etc/redhat-release.backup
cat > /etc/redhat-release << EOF
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)
EOF

You now have ES version 3... Sort of.  Oracle won't know any different.

Shorter answer:
Buy ES 3