Might be worth dropping him a line.

Cheers,
Daniel.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:25:42 +0100, Manuel Carro <mcarro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Daniel Stonier wrote:

I'm not sure if it helps, but I have a bunch of style files I use that are
non-tetex standard. The easiest way I've found to manage them while
updating or re-installing the OS is to keep them in directories on my work
partition somewhere and then set up symlinks to them in
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex.

(and others wrote similar ideas)

    yes, that's what I've been doing for non-standard packages or for
packages locally developed.  However, utopia.sty (which I tend to use
because I just like it) and listings are just two examples.  I do not
know the extent to which this can happen, and I wouldn't like to be
bitten by it while, e.g., preparing slides in a plane (which is not
the best idea, probably, but, hey, that's life...).  I am worried
about backward compatibility, obviously, and I just do not know if the
lack of those files comes from the LaTeX distribution itsef (as it
comes from the CTAN archives, which means that whoever decides what
comes into the tetex ditribution has ruled out these packages), or if
it is a decision (maybe just an involuntary mistake) of the person who
made the packaging.

        MCL
_____
sPAIN