Re: Reading Live SMB Files

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 10:45, Adam Voigt wrote:
> It had never bothered me before, but I was opening a PDF document for
> someone off the file server and it told me that "xpdf" couldn't read the
> file off SMB shares, so I had to copy it to my desktop to open it.
> Someone watching me do this asked why I had to, and I didn't really have
> a reason, so I thought I'd ask here.
>
> Why is it exactly you can't directly open files off SMB shares like you
> can on Windows? I'm sure it's probably something simple like Nautilus
> just uses "smbclient" instead of mounting the share or something like
> that, but why couldn't it just copy the file to /tmp when you try and
> access it, to make it more fluid browsing?
>
> --
>
> Adam Voigt
> adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just found a GUI mount agent that works with Samba 2.x.x through
3.0.2: Jags. You can find it here:

http://jags.sourceforge.org/

I just finished installing WBEL as the replacement O/S for MDK 9.1 on my
server. As mentioned before, my Linux clients are WBEL and FC1.
WBEL/RHEL/FC1 use Samba 3.0.2, which LinNeighborhood will not work with.
So, in an extensive search for a replacement to LinNeighborhood, I found
Jags. It is a very easy to work with interface that is ultra simple. It
will ask for a username and password to mount shares, if required by
your Samba server, before mounting them for the duration of the user's
login, or until unmounted by the user within the same interface. Once
the shares are mounted, the GUI interface does not need to be running.

This may offer your end-users the interface they need to mount and
unmount shares in your Linux workstations.

HTH

Paul