Re: Computer Hangs / Locks Up

Gordon Larsen wrote:
1) The entire system locks up after I select "logout"

2) The entire system locks up when I try to use
Mozilla

Hmm... Lock ups in stable releases are very often symptoms of hardware problems. Boot the installer CD with `memtest' (sp?) and see whether it reports any problems.

--

(snip)

Thanks for the hints though my symptoms sound different. I've tried your suggestion of not enabling the nic during boot, though the PC has a static IP. I've also tried three different nic's with the same result. I don't have any choice about turning off the power, as the machine hangs completely, no response to Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctl-Alt-Del or any Alt-SysRq functions. Even the mouse pointer stops. Seems wierd. Windoze XP and 2K both worked fine on this machine.

Gordon Larsen
ve6gel@xxxxxxx

With gnome and mozilla giving you troubles. It sounds like something related to the NIC connections.

acpi being on has caused some conflicts with some people and solved it for others. I run acpi=on on both my desktop and on my laptop. My desktop will work with either it off or on. My laptop will only work with it on.

I am thinking that you have an interrupt conflict with something on your system. Running acpi=on in your grub.conf file reassigns some IRQs better than not using the parameter.

I'm not familiar with the Duron processor. I have tried the celeron, pentium and athlon processors with no problems.

Having legacy USB support set to on in BIOS also caused me some problems. I had to set mine to off.

Most NICS that I used either used IRQ 10 or IRQ 11. Most mice I have seen have used IRQ 12.

There is some command that lists your IRQ assignments. I forgot the command. It might let you see if anything is conflicting with each other.

I'm out of ideas for now. Hopefully someone recalls the command tool for the irq mapping.

I found scripts like

/usr/sbin/irqbalance

/etc/sysconfig/irqbalance
/etc/rc.d/init.d/irqbalance